Saturday, December 22, 2012

Remembering When

For some reason, while I'm debating wearing Tommy Girl, a random thought passed through my mind. It was the whole "remember when spending $40 or $50 on a perfume was considered extravagant?". I remember the days when spending any more than $40 or $50 on a perfume was what I considered extravagant and a little stupid. I probably thought that way due to the fact that I wasn't really interested in perfume, didn't have a lot of money to spend on it, and too busy with school to really learn and smell new things.

Fast forward a few years, after I dropped out of college, I was slightly obsessed with reading about the Romanovs and was reading every book I could get my hands on. After receiving a gift of Coco Mademoiselle, I signed up for Chanel newsletters. One of those newsletters announced to me that there was a perfume that was inspired by Russian nobles fleeing the Russian Revolution. Cuir de Russie was the one that had me fall down the rabbit hole. Today, after many decants and full bottles later, $50 or $60 for a full bottle of perfume sounds like a bargain. It sounds like a bargain to me because I have spent $100 or more on most of my (full bottle) collection and a small handful was over $200.

I kind of miss those days when spending any more than $60 was a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment