Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sometimes I am

Sometimes, I am a bottle slut even though I am mostly not. But what did catch my interest, is in buying a couple full bottles and an e-mail from Chanel, is changing bottle designs. The Chanel bit was the only one that kind of did rile me due to marketing.

Let's take Chanel no. 5, the larger sized (1.7 and 3.4 ounce) EDP versions and the parfum version has the classic Chanel design bottle wise while the no. 5 EDT and most Chanel EDT versions don't come in the classic bottle. But the Chanel Eau Premiere bottle was somewhat of a cross between the EDT bottles and the EDP bottle. I was okay with that because Eau Premiere did mostly smell like no. 5 but I considered it something different and did warrant something a little different. But I signed up for news letters from Chanel and was mainly getting a lot of emails about Coco Mademoiselle and all of the Chance flankers, I never much paid attention because I'm not really interested in Mademoiselle of the Chance flankers. But now, Eau Premiere is now packaged in the classic Chanel bottle and I am not impressed. But I am thinking that the younger crowd did want the classic bottle and maybe the 5 ounce bottle was a little over the top. After owning 2 of the huge 6.5 Les Exclusifs line, I can relate and wished that Chanel offered the 2.5 ounce bottles of the Les Exclusifs line much earlier. But still, it annoys me and for no real reason that I can fathom.

But I did like how Andy Tauer seemed to revamp his bottle design after just getting Une Rose Chypree. The wooden cap to his line was a kind of a bad fit for his sprayers because they never did stay all that well and they seemed to absorb every other scent imaginable. But when getting Une Rose Chypree, I expected it to look exactly like Une Rose Vermeille because it looked like it when I bought it off of Luckyscent. I was in for a pleasant surprise when the bottle color was brown, plastic cap and the fact that it didn't have the glass beads. Which was cool in away but I'm one of those who if it's a 50 ml bottle, I want the most perfume available and not have something that isn't much more than a filler no matter how cool it looks.

For a long while, I was flirting with Viktoria Minya's Hedonist just because it has many of the notes that I do love in a perfume but wasn't so thrilled with the price since the bottle was filled with crystals and dropped from 50ml to 45ml of perfume. But I did get it and the presentation from the box to the perfume is phenominal and it's like buying a full bottle of Amouge in many ways just by looks alone. I figured that this is Minya's first perfume, presentation probably means quite a bit and just by taking off the cap and getting a whiff, it smells like it's a little more worth the price point.

But at the end of the day, with my perfume collection, buying huge bottles is not my style anymore. If I were looking to be loyal to just one or two perfumes, a larger bottle would be worth it but since I have about 30-50 bull bottles of perfume, it's less is more. And niche perfumes are a little more difficult to obtain and I am kind of forced to do more online shopping than I would really like but I do love the thrill of knowing that a package is arriving at my doorstep on a certain day, it's like Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment