Monday, June 27, 2022

The Current State of Affairs

On Friday, the United States Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade. These conservative judges said that Roe v Wade was unconstitutional and the decision should be left up to each individual state. The problem with the decision going back to the individual states is that half of the United States will have either outright banned abortion or put severe restrictions in place. 

I'm not understanding how the Supreme Court can rule that Roe v Wade is unconstitutional but hold the case of Buck v Bell constitutional. Buck v Bell was a court case giving license to forcibly sterilize the disabled and people of color. Yes, if a judge decides that I am "feeble-minded" I can be sterilized without my consent. This is what disabled women, like me, fear. That kind of loss of autonomy. The autonomy to have an abortion if I needed/wanted one and the ability to have children if I chose to have them. 

This whole thing makes me wonder what next will be considered to be unconstitutional. My right to vote? My right to have a bank account or credit card in my name. It wasn't until the late 70's or early 80's that a woman could open a bank account, credit card or get a bank loan without a male relative's signature. It wasn't until 1993 that marital rape was a crime in all of the 50 states. 

No comments:

Post a Comment