Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Of Dogs, De Profundis and Death

The past couple weeks haven't been exactly good. The week proceeding Labor Day and a few days afterwards are defiantly good in my family. It always seems to be the time of year where it's either one of my dogs gets really sick where we might have to put them down or we do have to put them down. This time, we did have to put down my elderly dog, Bailey. Bailey was always a special needs dog that always had the odds stacked against her. When she was four months old, she was diagnosed with epilepsy and 3 vets counseled us to put her down because they thought she wouldn't live to be a year old but we didn't give up on her, knowing that it would take time and the right dose of medication. Bailey was put to sleep two days ago and I haven't really been able to stop crying since. I know that she was 14 years old and she was really old for a Lab but I knew that it was time. I just wanted her to have one more good summer before things got really bad. For some reason, the day she died, I sensed that it was her last day on earth, I gave her tons of her favorite dog treats and a rawhide before going to the vet to look at a huge blood blister on her ear. On the way to the vet, she had a huge seizure that she never really came out of, then I knew that it was time to let her go. On the day she died, I do not know why I decided to put on Serge Lutens De Profundis but I did and I wore it yesterday as well.

In Bailey's 14 years, I dealt with her chronic ear infections, many allergies, getting into stuff that she shouldn't have, eating a 3 pound bag of M&M's, almost getting hit by cars and yet she survived it all. And gave me many kisses, brought me shoes and showered me with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment