Thursday, March 26, 2020

Vintage Perfume

After reviewing Jungle Gardenia, I got to thinking about all the vintage in my collection. Vintage perfumes seem to be the ones that seem to have tons of staying power on skin. Mitsouko, Shalimar, BaV and s few others have staying power on skin in vintage form, no matter the concentration.

I think that perfumes of the past, before all these reformulations, were built to have staying power. Way back when, many could only afford to have one perfume and it was used only sparingly. I managed to score a set of vintage Dior, probably from the '60's, maybe earlier and both Diorissimo and Miss Dior are both in EDC concentration and have staying power. What was great for me is that they came in the original packaging and it was pretty interesting to see the prices that were marked on them. The price tag read either $2.50 or $2.75.

It seems like many new releases do not have lasting power. Amouage and Andy Tauer are one of the few brands that release perfumes with lasting power. Amouage's earlier perfumes can take a couple showers before they fully wash off. Andy Tauer's Une Rose Vermeille is nuclear waste. With Une Rose Vermeille, I need to use both Tide and Dawn and at least 3 showers before it fully comes off. I wish more companies would take notice. And take notice of the price points as well. Why should  I shell out $60 or more for a perfume that lasts only an hour or two, even on clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment