Monday, December 14, 2020

Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy Reissue Review

My Chanel order came in a day earlier than expected. Nothing can be more satisfying than ripping apart the boxes a perfume comes in. Back in the early days, I would tear open the box, find the perfume and then tear open the package to get to the bottle. Since I don't get too many new bottles, I take my time. I haven't busted the cellophane to take a look at everything, I am relishing the moment of having a new perfume. I want to relish the moment of when my little set of Clinique Wrappings comes. That was another impulse, blind buy for me. That blind buy came from Now Smell This when Robin posted one of her daily lemmings. The price and size was right. At this point, I think that I'm done with the year for perfume buying and probably for a good chunk of next year too. I don't really want to buy decants anymore. I think with all that has been going on in my life at this point, perfume buying and trying is mostly on the back burner for me but I have a big pile of things to test out and review.

I went into my big pile and pulled out Givenchy Monsieur de


Givenchy last night to try out. I've never been the biggest fan of masculine scents. It's either this really aquatic thing or nothing but ozone and citrus crap. Or it's really cheap and crude smelling. When I first applied Monsieur, I was like, what the hell? A huge blast of citrus, not any kind of citrus but a citrus that smelled like Lemon Pledge. I figured if this wasn't going to develop or develop badly, I was going to wash it off and apply something else. For a good half an hour to an hour, I held out to see how Monsieur was going to play out. The Lemon Pledge started to mellow out a little bit and some kind of shift happened. I started to get the dry down of vintage Jicky and the middle or top of Habit Rouge. But Monsieur leans more towards vintage Jicky than Habit Rouge. While I enjoy Jicky, I haven't really been able to wear it let alone smell it to a recent experience. That recent experience was when I visited my grandmother a week before she passed.

Lasting power was actually pretty decent but I am leaning toward it being an EDT. While I did enjoy Monsieur in the middle and end, I think that I will keep a medium to large decant for the occasional wearing but it's not something that I would want as a full bottle. Now when I have two vintage bottles and one current formulation of Jicky and a decant of Habit Rouge.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment