Saturday, November 3, 2012

Galileo Thermometers, 'cause I Want to Blog but Have Nothing

It's been a long day today. I've been on vacation all of this week and was lucky that someone was sick. That leaves me to come in and work. Every time I am on vacation by Thursday or Friday, I start to get a little bored. Today, was the day that only Mitsouko that would suit my kinks, so no perfume review right now.

Besides having a "strange obsession with perfume", my other kind of strange hobby is collecting Galileo thermometers. Ever since I have become a perfume fanatic, my Galileo thermometer collecting has been put on the back burner. But since signing up for Amazon Prime, it got my collection going again somewhat. Most think one is interesting but having multiple ones is a little freakish. If there are those who collect Star Wars figurines or KISS memorabilia, why shouldn't I have an unusual collection? I have noticed that where the thermometer was made can make a world of difference. Ones made in China, no matter what the size they are huge. The width in general is much larger and the base of the thermometer is thick and looks bulky. Thermometers that are made in Germany, have more of a hand blown look to them and tend to be smaller width wise and smaller, rounded bases. Both look that same, but the German ones seem to be made a little better with much more accuracy with temperature.

But not too many places seem to carry smaller Galileo thermometers. About three quarters of my collection ranges from 17 inches to 24 inches. When I started out, it was the bigger the better or if there was one with just red or green balls, it caught my eye and would get them. For a little bit, I saw a few that were only black and have two. But thermometers with one one color is a little harder to find. I do want the smaller thermometers and the color of the balls are really not as important as it was.

A trend that I have noticed is that companies now think it is great to have them in these wooden contraptions and it looks ridiculous. This adds more fuss than need be and I cannot fathom why people would spend $10 more just for cheap wood framing the thermometer.

No comments:

Post a Comment